Thursday, May 31, 2012

Love at first sight?

After reading numerous books on Toddler Adoptions, it was a common understanding among adoptive mothers that it was okay to not have the "love at first sight" feeling mothers often have with the biological children.....I was aware of it, as I had experienced it with even my biological daughter.....it wasn't until about 6 months after she was born that i "fell in love" with her...I remember calling my husband at work to tell him that i had fallen in love with her....and he was a bit confused about why it had taken me so long....I wasn't sure either...it just didn't "love" her..I wanted to take care of her, but that was about it.....regardless, I was convinced that after months of waiting for Amay to come home, I was going to fall in love with him the minute I saw him.....I was going to be the adoptive mother with the "love at first sight" feeling.....I had already spent countless nights crying over the one picture they had sent us...and sleepless nights worrying about how he must be doing at the orphanage, and many anxious nights just ready to bring him home....But here i am now, still waiting for that feeling...it's been almost a month and I have yet to fall in love.....he is cuter than his pictures, often sweeter than I can imagine..but still, I struggle with my emotions....I have to give it more time...I need to let myself accept that every feeling is natural...love takes time...even if he is my son....I will continue to care for him and love him the way I know how to....but everything else will take time...This experience has humbled me....Amay has already taught me so much about myself....he has taught me that love is often just as hard to give as it is to receive.....I am having a hard time giving and he is having a hard time receiving.....

No comments:

Post a Comment